I was throwing things together in our kitchen tonight and ended up with TODDLER-APPROVED, gluten-free, protein-packed casserole dish that only took us about 35 minutes to make, from start to finish. Seeing as I have been asked quite a few times lately for some of the recipes I use to keep my clean eating from becoming monotonous, I thought this would be the perfect one to share to start things off.
3/4 c. cooked quinoa
1 T olive oil
1/2 c. diced tomatoes
2 T diced bell peppers
1/3 c. diced onion
10 oz. tuna (or any lean meat of your choice)
1 c. cottage cheese
3/4 c. Non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
3/4 c. parmesan cheese
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375, have a 9×9 ungreased baking dish ready.
2. While your quinoa is cooking, sauté your onion, bell peppers and diced tomatoes in the olive oil, until fragrant. Add whatever spices you want*. Your quinoa and veggies should finish about the same time.
3. Turn down the heat on the veggies to LOW, just keeping them simmering. Add your meat.
4. Strain quinoa, then put it back in the pot, keeping heat off. Fold in your greek yogurt and parmesan cheese. Quinoa should still be warm enough to cause the yogurt and cheese to blend nicely. (If not, turn the heat back on LOW, and add a tiny bit of milk.)
5. You’re going to layer the ingredients like you would a lasagna. Spread the quinoa mixture on the bottom of the pan, add a layer of cottage cheese, then a layer of the veggie/meat mixture. Repeat again, with quinoa, cottage cheese, then the veggies/meat.
6. Top with the cheddar cheese, then sprinkle the top with parmesan.
7. Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and the top has turned a golden brown. (appx. 10-15 min.)
* I did not add any spices to this recipe this time, as I normally would, for the fact that my tomatoes came with garlic and onion powder already. I was not sure how my little one would handle any extra spice.
This recipe was quick and simple, and our 2 and a half year old absolutely loved it. Anything toddler-approved is one that we use again!